The first SUVs came to market in the mid 1990s, especially by brands from Japan and the USA. A Sports Utility Vehicle is a car that has the appearance of an off-road vehicle, but the driving comfort of a sedan.
The actual off-road capability differs from model to model. For SUVs 4×4 or 4WD drive is usually optional. SUVs are designed primarily for the use on the road, they usually do not have gearboxes with off-road gear, have a lower tidal depth and a lower gradeability.
The SUV market has become more differentiated in the last decade. At the beginning of the SUV area it was dominated by large vehicles. Today you find SUVs in all sizes: Mini, Compact, Mid-size and Full-size Luxury SUVs.
A third seat row is already available for some Compact SUVs such as the Mitsubishi Outlander. We have put together a list of SUVs which are available as 7 seaters:
Mid-size SUVs with 7 seats
- Land Rover Discovery Sport (standard for versions with 2.0L TD4 Diesel 180hp)
- Mercedes GLB (Standard)
- Mitsubishi Outlander 3 (Diesel only)
- Nissan Qashqai+2 (as used car only)
- Peugeot 5008 (Standard)
- Skoda Kodiaq (optional at no extra costs for SE, SEL, Sportline and Edition)
- VW Tiguan Allspace (Standard)
Luxury SUVs with 7 seats
- Audi Q7
- BMW X5
- BMW X7
- Mercedes GLS (standard equipment)
- Mitsubishi Shogun (standard equipment)
- TESLA Model X
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Volvo XC 90
Photo © Peugeot Kommunikation